Tag Archives: Dragon Armor

Dragon 7370 Pz.Kpfw.VI Ausf.E Sd.Kfz.181 Tiger I Initial Production

When I started this kit, many said it was the most correct Tiger tank in braille scale, with only one “fault”: a single decal option: Tiger no 100. But what an option! This legendary tank was captured by Russians and was exhibited in Gorky park in the summer of 1943.




I opted for the winter version of this famous tank, when I came across this image:




The distinguishing of Tiger 100 are:

1. Massive exhaust pipe extensions, rising up to 700mm above the top of the rear hull.
2. Unique side mounted turret baggage bin.
3. Horseshoe mounted on the left side hull front.
4. Bent front left track mudguard
5. Improvised rain shield over the gun-sight.
6. Unique camo pattern with a large dark area above the driver’s vision port.
7. Spare tracks on front hull.

I just had to bend the left track mudguard and improvise the rain shield over the gun-sight. The rest came with the kit.

 

After assembly, I sprayed two layers of Tamiya white primer, very useful for brush painting.

Then, the Panzer grey, from Vallejo Model Color range, applied in four layers with a brush.

Next in line was the specific camo of Tiger 100.

And finally, I placed the Tiger in little vignette; the snow is very easy to make: just a mix of water, white glue and baking soda. I will not call this project done, as I plan to return with some proper figurines.

In conclusion, if you want to build an accurate Initial Tiger tank, this might prove an excellent choice. Dragon even released a sequel based on this kit, with more decal options.
Buy the Tiger #100 set,
Or buy the sequel.

1/72 Dragon 7283 – Stug III Ausf G Early

I must confess I have a soft spot for winter camouflages. I had this kit in my stash for quite a while and I decided to give it a try. It is a little gem, all parts fits very well and you don’t need too much aftermarkets to build a perfect Braille Stug; it is literally a scaled down 1/35 kit.

I started with suspensions, road-wheels and the rear panel. I replaced the exhaust deflector sides with others made from a beer can. Unlike Revell, Dragon provides the PE mesh screens for air intakes and that’s a good bonus.

But not all things are perfect with this kit and, inexplicably, Dragon decided to shut down the driver’s vizor. This is not a major fault, but it’s some how odd to drive a tank with this vizor closed. It was not an easy task to open it, but in the end all the effort paid off.

I continued with the superstructure and added a few details, such as some spare tracks from a Revell kit. As for the commander cupola, the trap is a little too thick if left open but it can be replaced with one from Extratech.

After that, my model was ready for paint:

Until recently, all my models were brush painted, so I was unable to try the hairspray technique, which is impossible without an airbrush. My Stug received a a good coat of white as “base paint”, and then I dry-brushed the dunkelgelb over the white. I was quite happy with the result:

After decals, fitting the tracks and some weathering with oils and pigments, the Stug really came to life.

In conclusion, this is a highly detailed kit, very easy to put together; a “must build” for every Braille lover.

If you want to acquire this set take a look here.

Dragon Armor Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf.C

Dragon Armor Pro 7223.

Ficha Técnica:
10 crew.
2 MG 34 (7,92mm)

It had been many years since I built a scale model and has been a pleasure to complete this. The instructions are clear and precise, and I do not ride has taken a long time, but the inexperience has made me make several mistakes, especially leave for the final very inaccessible areas for painting.

The scale of the model is correct, there are some variations, accessories as shovels, picks, and some guns. The rear doors can be assembled open or closed, and the same with the viewers of the cab.

The doors can be mounted engine also open, although the model does not include engine, so if you have no where to get one, better closed. In the kit there are still two small pieces to which I soon found useful, there are 4 clips for only two machine guns, and the model Altaya just had two machine guns without clip. Thing done.

For paint I did not dare to any camouflage pattern, so after some tests I set out with the Citadel color Desert Yellow and Devlan Mud , and the result is seen in the photos, quite acceptable for what is my pulse, and taking into account that not built a model since i was 16 or 17 years (I write this at the age of 33).

You can find a summary of the Sd.Kfz.251 in the Altaya model.


Español