I love Dragon Shermans, and especially the M4A1 with the 76 mm gun. I also think, as other Sherman lovers, it has the most “sexy” lines from all M4 range. I chose a registration from “Operation Cobra” with the distinctive black patches camo over the Olive Drab.
I started with the bogies; the skids were taken from an UM kit, and proved to be the ideal solution. However I had to add two more bolts on the interior of the skid, cause they were missing.
I glued the bogies into position and continued with the back engine doors. The tension mechanisms of the idler wheels was corrected, with the three bolts oriented downwards, not like Dragon indicates.
The tail lights must be moved a few millimetres back until it is aligned with the edge of the hull. I used aluminium beer can strips to simulate the brackets for fixing the tools on the hull.
The siren brush-guard was the most difficult to make, as it is not provided with the photo-etched parts in the kit.
I also modified the front fenders, as the one from the kit were incorrect.
But the most difficult part was to make and add the casting registration number on the turret. I also made a few modification, mostly on the rear of the turret, where I replaced the MG cradle and the L frames. After that I modified the loader’s split hatch into a “low profile” D94598 and add the MG barrel bracket.
The final assembly and adjustments.
After that I sprayed Vallejo Olive Drab and the camo black patches.
And the final result, after weathering with oil paints and some pigments.